Talkative – Software Engineer Summer Internship Job
What will you be doing?
- You will be designing, coding and implementing new product features on our real time web application.
- There’ll be lots of responsibility: customer feature requests, deployments, integrations and bug fixing are key parts of the role.
- You will be building reusable code and libraries for future use, while optimising the code for maximum speed and scalability.
- Work will vary between frontend and backend. You will also be writing unit tests and implementing security measures.
Why should you join?
- Technology – You will be working on our new technologies, for example WebSockets, WebRTC and Vue.js.
- Skilled Team – We are picky about who we hire! We only want high performers. You will work alongside a skilled, friendly and tight-knit technical team who can further your own development skills via an interactive work environment.
- Freedom – We offer relative freedom in how you complete tasks, as long as they are completed to requirements. We have no dress code and offer flexible working hours.
- Impact – As a fast growing company, your work will be put into the hands of customers. Your work matters!
- Learning – We expect you to learn on the job and from your own reading. You will be working alongside skilled senior engineers and we will help you develop your software engineering capabilities. You will learn a lot from hands-on development and solving tangible problems.
- Company Ownership – We offer share options to all employees.
- Culture – The team is all in one open plan office, to ensure open communication and a friendly atmosphere. We run weekly sprints, with regular 1-on-1s. Company direction and progress is clearly communicated to all employees.
What are we looking for?
- Enthusiasm for the role, and a desire to work in a startup environment.
- Clear communication skills and ability to work in a team.
- Initiative, resourcefulness and common sense.
- Interest in new technology and staying current of development best practices.
What technical skills are we looking for?
- PHP and related frameworks, ideally Laravel, although no PHP/Laravel experience is required.
- HTML5 & CSS3.
- RESTful HTTP & WebSockets technologies.
- Understanding of code versioning tools such as Git.
- Understanding of automated test platforms including unit & system tests.
- Understanding of UI, cross-browser compatibility, web functions and standards.
- Any exposure to WebRTC and SIP would be a distinct advantage, but is not required.
Talkative is a fast-growing tech startup pioneering the next generation of customer contact technologies. Our product enables real time communication between customer-facing websites and sales teams. Voice, video, chat and cobrowsing is packaged into a cloud hosted service. We are based next to the Celtic Manor Resort in South Wales and have backing from investors including Sir Terry Matthews.
- Competitive intern salary with opportunity for ongoing employment after the internship.
- Flexible start and finish dates, with expected start in early June 2019 until end of September 2019.
- 22 days holiday + bank holiday applied pro rata based on length of internship.
- Discounts at the Celtic Manor Resort.
1. Please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining why you are applying.
2. A 30 minute phone interview to understand more about your experience.
4. A face-to-face interview with the founding team outlining the position.